So you’re here to learn the top 5 skills you need to succeed. It really doesn’t matter whether you are thinking about starting to train in something new and are just starting out or are seasoned in your profession but you may have had moments where you have thought ‘is this job right for me’? or ‘Do I have what it takes to be a successful’? If you have thought any of the above or even something similar then this article will help you to acknowledge your strengths and develop from your weaknesses so that you can be the best you can be professionally. Self-development is an exciting journey that can make a big difference within yourself and make a huge impact to your business – for the better! Below we will go through the top 5 skills you need to succeed and it’s not as complex as you may think…
- Passion – In order to be the best you can be in any line of work you need to have passion for he industry you’re in or what you are promoting. Passion to motivate yourself to get the job done, to motivate your employees to give their best, passion to feed your customers and therefore your business. You need to be able to inject life and vitality into the services that you offer so you can inform clients about what you offer with confidence. Passion for your job will give you the drive you need to succeed, it will keep pushing you forward when you may not feel 100%, it will make you eager to learn new techniques, and it allows you to stay current and ahead of the crowd!
- Knowledge – There’s a whole multitude of paths you can take within most careers so make sure you chose something you love, that you can develop overtime but most importantly make sure that you know your business and the services that you offer inside and out. Being able to exude knowledge and go through procedures/treatment/rates plans confidently and clearly with clients will be key when looking at client retention; it builds trust between the you and your client as your client will be aware that you are clued up and have faith that you will provide them with a great service – no matter what that may be.
Side note. Active listening is also a very important skill to develop so that you can really listen to your clients, it might sound silly at first but if your clients are being listened to it allows you to be able to tailor the service to fit the client perfectly. It gives them the treatment they want and deserve and is also the perfect skill in order to engage them in an in-depth consultation with them to really understand what your client needs before you begin the work.
- Dedication – In order to succeed you must be dedicated, not only to your business but to your learning too. As we known many industries it is all about the next big thing, so keeping up to date with new trends is a great way to bring in new clientele regardless of whether you are operating as a a limited company or if you are self employed; the more eggs you have in your basket the better, as long as you carry out each service to a high standard and have the correct training you can always offer something new to your clients.
Being dedicated opens a lot of doors in regards to communication because you will be the driving force that keeps everyone involved in the business, informed and up to date on new procedures/changes/promotions. It doesn’t mean that you need to know all of the answers to any question straight away but it gives you a professional edge to know where to go and what to do if the situation ever arises where you do need someone else’s advice or even if it’s just not your area of expertise – your clients will thank you for this as it shows you have the initiative and fast thinking that the job can sometimes require and asking for others opinion only makes you more reputable, if you are unsure it’s always best to check it out.
- Reliability – This is a big one because in order to build up your clientele and have good client retention, you must be reliable. I repeat YOU MUST BE RELIABLE. Competition within every industry is vast, however there is enough room for everyone – you just need to find a way to do it that it works for you. In other words don’t bite off more than you can chew, it would be much better to run a promotional offer and open a salon for 3 days a week and be steadily booked with regular clientele and spending time with them rather than opening up, running a promotion 7 days a week and trying to fit everyone in by squeezing down appointment times and being so rushed off your feet that your clients don’t feel valued or as though they have received less than a top standard service. You will also run out of steam, self management is a major key to being successful.Work/home life balance is important but it’s just as important if not more important to set realistic goals for yourself in order to be present and reliable for the clients you do have, for recognition of your own needs, the business needs and your clienteles needs are important. This is sometimes the hardest battle you may face when starting up a new business/setting working hours but you can always adapt this as you go along. If you are reliable, show integrity and be congruent with your clients it will pay off.
- Precision – Precision speaks for itself – there is no room for laziness within the a good thriving business, if you are inconsistent or fail to carry out any part of a procedure and your client notices then unfortunately that could lose you a client.
On average if someone has a bad experience they will tell 16 people but in contrast if they have a good experience they will tell a maximum of 7 people (the averagenumber is 3) – word of mouth advertising is the best way to acquire clientele and develop rapport but you need to be precise in order for your business to be a good topic of conversation. So how do you do this? By being precise and delivering a top notch service every single time a client walks through your door!Remember that the clients journey starts upon arriving at your business, it’s important that they feel cared for and that their expectations are managed and met. Precision is also needed to time manage and be aware of the treatment or service that you are carrying out but also be aware of your client, care for others is needed within the most industries. If you cover these bases then your business will succeed and grow or your career will catapult above your expectations. It really is just about going the extra mile.
If you are sat at home now thinking ‘great, I possess all of these qualities’ or ‘all of these things come naturally to me’ Then great! You hold all of the power to make your business succeed right now, all you need to do is continue putting them into practice and your career/business will grow. If you are sat at home thinking ‘I struggle with precision’ or ‘I have a lack of passion for what I do’, then don’t worry.
The majority of people have come across more than one of these hurdles in their lifetime however it doesn’t mean you give up; skills are learnt and developed over time, as long as you have the dedication and the drive to push forward to become successful then guess what? You still hold all the power in order to push yourself forward to succeed, whether you need a change in direction or just a little extra training, you can make it happen.
As well as the above there are a few skills that make your job easier and more enjoyable, these skills may just be the ones that truly make you stand out such as being innovative – bringing new ideas to your business.
Being able to give and receive recognition/constructive criticism, this can be a difficult one for many people but it doesn’t have to be, each company should be open to change and therefore you should be too. A great way to handle constructive criticism is to work towards little goals and learn how to manage them in order to jump over the hurdle and further develop from them.
As this article comes to an end I would just like to add that what I hope you have taken away is a need for outstanding customer service. Shining customer service is really what drives businesses and people forward, if you can offer brilliant services with amazing customer service you can’t go wrong!